50km SOLO BICYCLE CHASE
A picturesque, flat course consisting entirely of bitumen sealed cycling path with just a few sections of concrete footpath (not more than 2km in total). The course starts and finishes at Apex Park Wangaratta and consists of a 50km out and back loop on the Ovens River, One Mile Creek and Milawa / Oxley Rail Trail.
The event is an IAAF / AIMS certified accurate 50km, and includes accurate 25km splits. This event is also Internationally labeled and Australian Ultra Runners Association sanctioned.
|How it works:||As a 50km bicycle chase entrant you are the “trooper” giving chase. You start much later than the runners but follow the same 50km course and thus slowly gain on them. Before departure, you will be provided with a random arrest warrant. A part of your challenge is to find the named runner and make an arrest before that runner makes it to the finish. But fear not, because if the runner exceeds their expectations and you don’t make the catch, then we will still put you into the draw for top trooper if you finish prior to 11:30am. This is to prevent troopers from cycling too fast which is not in the spirit of the “chase”!
NOTE: Runners are NOT required to stop when they are caught. Please be courteous to the runner and as non-disruptive as possible. If you are inclined, and the runner would appreciate it, then you may accompany them to the finish and lend encouragement and support.
|Start time:||Between 7:00am and 8:45am (choose start time in entry form, aim to finish near 12:00pm)|
|Presentations:||Commence at 4:30pm at the presentation and dinner (dinner commences at 4:00pm)|
|On day entry:||No. The latest entries will be accepted is Saturday between 4:00pm and 6:00pm. Refer entry page for details.|
|Aid Stations:||The distances below also serve as the second half of the 100km events. Hence entrants in 100km events will have completed 50km more than shown below.
|Top Trooper Award:||
- Entrants start at Apex Park, Wangaratta on the South side of the second column from the South Eastern corner of the market pavilion.
- Entrants continue along the Ovens River cycle path to College Street.
- Entrants cross College Street and Park Lane remaining on the cycling path and continue along the North side of College Street.
- Entrants cross Phillipson St when the bitumen path ends and continue along the College Street footpath on the North side of the road until the end of College Street where they merge back into a bitumen cycle path.
- Entrants follow the path West until they cross over the footbridge attached to the road bridge near the golf course and immediately turn 180 degrees and head back under the bridge they just crossed.
- Entrants now follow the One Mile Creek bicycle path as defined all the way to its termination point at Cribbes Road.
- Entrants (runners and walkers) cross Cribbes Road and turn left onto the footpath on the South of Cribbes road. They follow this until it meets a bitumen cycle path near the intersection of Cribbes Road and Murdoch Road.
- Cyclists turn left onto Cribbes Rd itself and continue to the traffic island near the end of Cribbes Rd where they then turn right and onto the bitumen sealed path.
- Entrants turn right onto this cycle path and follow it as defined all the way out to and through Oxley until the come to a single point turn around cone just past Woodbury's Lane which is exactly 75km.
- Entrants return to the start / finish line by exactly the same course (ie out and back).
Interactive Course Map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/364906427/
And click for a look at the 100 Faces of the Ned Kelly Chase